Eddie Hearn plans to move British boxing abroad in light of new coronavirus restrictions.
The British government announced the return of some of its most severe restrictions this week in response to an increase in coronavirus cases across the country.
As a result of the rising figures, the British Boxing Board of Control (BBBofC) had already announced they would suspend competitive boxing during January, in part due to the demands the sport places upon medical professionals.
However, professional sport is able to go ahead with the government’s blessing, and Hearn is making plans to make sure that his plans are relatively unaffected.
Matchroom already operate in Italy and America, but Hearn’s client Anthony Joshua has fought in Saudi Arabia, and he has discussed the possibility of holding fights in China as well as other countries in the Middle East.
Hearn told IFL TV he can move David Avanesyan vs Josh Kelly into February from its original date of January 30, and will consider further changes if they are needed.
He said: “It doesn’t affect us too much at the moment because it’s one show that we can kick into February.
“The key now is I need reassurance from the board that they are gonna let boxing restart in February.
“And, if they don’t, then we’re gonna go abroad with all our shows.
“If elite sports are allowed to continue, we need to make sure that boxing continues.
“I’ve got a schedule that’s mouth-watering, to be honest with you, and I think we’re ready to announce it. I think we’ll announce it this week.
“If we can’t do that in the UK, we will run that schedule for UK fans from another country with another commission, which is not good news for the BBBofC.
“But they have to make the right decisions that they feel are in line with the doctor’s decisions. I don’t knock that, but we can’t wait until the end of January to see if boxing in February will be allowed to go ahead.”
During the country’s first lockdown, Matchroom set up an outside venue at their Brentwood headquarters for the Fight Camp series, with teams accommodated in their own bubbles.
However he suggested there are no shortage of options for his next set of venues, saying: “You can go anywhere you want, America, the Middle East, Monaco, Italy, Gibraltar, Jersey, they’re all in play.
“I’m not sitting still waiting for anybody. I’m doing my own thing. I’m not letting fighters down, I’m not letting fans down, I’m not letting broadcasters down.
“Boxing cracks on. Wherever it may be, it’s happening.”
Hearn also confirmed that Alexander Povetkin vs Dillian Whyte is soon to be announced after the Russian recovered from coronavirus.
“That is ready. We’re ready to announce. That date will be announced this week.”